Sunday, March 30, 2014

Jesus, Your Mediator

Jesus, Your Mediator
'There is one...mediator between God and men...Jesus.' 1 Tim 2:5 KJV

Michael Spencer writes: 'The truth that Jesus is the one mediator between God and human beings knocked me to the floor and suspended me over the truth that God had done all things necessary for my salvation. He had paid the debt and become the necessary sacrifice.
 He had loved me to the uttermost. He had given all this to me as a gift.
I had nothing to do but simply stop ignoring His gift and receive it.
I was a drowning man whose rescue depended on stopping all efforts to swim and trusting someone who was not going to make me a better swimmer, but who would drown in my place. This experience...demolished the idea that I could be anything other than what I was: a broken, sinful, wounded, failing, hurting human being...
To try to make myself presentable or acceptable made me less capable of receiving the simple gift of Jesus' mediation on my behalf. Jesus was not clearing the road so that I could ride victoriously through life. He was becoming the road that would carry me through all the garbage, falls, failures and disasters that were the inevitable results of my existence.
In trying to make myself lovable, I had been distancing myself from true love. In pretending to be a leading candidate for the religious life, I was abandoning the life of grace.
In seeking to be a good Christian, I was deserting the truth that there is no Gospel for good Christians, because the Lamb of God was nailed to an altar for those who are not good, and who are no good at pretending to be good.' 
Source with permission: UCB: The Word for Today Monday, 17 March 2014  http://www.thewordfortoday.com.au/