Saturday, April 22, 2006

Gods Weapons Of Warfare

Weapons Of Warfare - Spiritual Warfare:

The Bible clearly tells us that our battle isn't against flesh and blood, but that it is a SPIRITUAL BATTLE!

As Christ's followers we are called on to use a very different set of weapons: because we are to be instruments of peace. Paul refers to the shoes of the gospel of peace; the belt of truth; and the sword of the Spirit -- the word of God (Ephesians6:10-18). In ancient Judah, King Jehoshaphat took 'weapons of peace' literally : he sent out praise singers in front of the soldiers, causing such disarray that the enemy started slaughtering each other. Then as now, the lesson is that only God gives the victory over evil. (Bill Keller 2004)

From Davids time in the wilderness we read in the Psalms so many examples two of my favourites are Psalm 91 & 18

"For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God, the God who girds me with strength, and makes my way blameless? He makes my feet like hinds' feet, and sets me upon my high places. He trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze" (Ps 18:31-34).

Remember: "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight" (Psalm 144:1)

A powerful quote by Robert Longman "The Christ who wins the spiritual battles is the same Christ who won the war." What could be more secure than that? It is God who wins the war, not ourselves. We just do what He gives us to do when we ask, hear & obey. Hear what the Spirit is saying.

Marty Gabler (2005) asks has anyone out there recently felt as though they are under attack? When we accept Jesus, we are inducted into the army of God. He puts a robe of righteousness on us and armor which become a conspicuous uniform identifying which army we belong to. For we battle not with flesh & blood. If we truly believe that we war against rulers and principalities that cannot be seen, then we must realize that their mandate is to hinder any believer who is seeking to walk in the fullness of God. However, "greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world" (1 Jn. 4:4b KJV). Our focus must remain riveted upon becoming like Christ in all things. The Bible tells us that where sin abounds, the grace of God aboundsmore so (Romans 5:20). We might be overwhelmed by the flood of evil storming against us. Yet, the promise of God is that, when the enemy comes in like a flood, God shall raise a standard against him (Isaiah 59:19). Focus always on Jesus the Captain.

2 Cor 10: 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;.. (KJV)
In simpler words - 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. (NIV)

God knows the battles we face each day in this evil and sin-filled world that we live in That is why He provided us with the spiritual armor He has. If you notice, there is nothing to protect your back. That is because God never intended for His children to RUN! You don't need protection for your back when you are moving forward focus on Jesus. (Bill Keller 2004)

Eph 6: 10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; (KJV)

In the NLT Eph 6: 10 A final word: Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. 11 Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. 12 For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule thisworld, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. 13 Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm.

The words from 'The Message' simplify yet say it all: Eph 6:10 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. 11 So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. 12 This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. 13 Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, sothat when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. 14 Truth, righteousness, 15 peace, 16 faith, 17 and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. 18 In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers andsisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. 19 And don't forget to pray for me. Pray that I'll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time, ..... 23 Good-bye, friends. Love mixed with faith be yours from God theFather and from the Master, Jesus Christ. 24 Pure grace and nothing but grace be with all who love our Master, Jesus Christ.

Warfare in the Psalms :For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. Destroy thou them O God; let them fall by their own councils; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee. (Psalm 5:9,10).

Upon the wicked shall He rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: This shall be the portion of their cup. (Psalm 11:6).

Yea, He sent out His arrows, and scattered them; and He shot out lightnings, and discomfited them. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: For they were too strong for me. For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: Thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me. The strangers shall fade away and be afraid out of their close places. (Psalm 18:14,17, 39,45).

Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. (Psalm 27:11).

Plead my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me: Fight against them that fight against me. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help. Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation. Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: Let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt. Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the Angel of the Lord chase them. Let their way be dark and slippery: And let the Angel of the Lord persecute them. For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they havedigged for my soul. Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.
(Psalm 35:1-8).

Through God we shall do valiantly: For He it is that shall tread down our enemies. (Psalm 60:12).

Say unto God, how terrible art thou in thy works! Through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee. (Psalm 66:3).

O God thou art terrible out of thy holy places: The God of Israel is He that giveth strength and power unto His people. Blessed be God. (Psalm 68:35).

Make haste, O God, to deliver me, make haste to help me, O Lord. (Psalm 70:1).

Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt. (Psalm 71:13).

He shall cut off the spirit of princes: He is terrible to the kings of the earth.
(Psalm 76:12).

All nations compassed me about: But in the name of the Lord will I destroy them. They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: For in the name of the Lord I will destroy them. (Psalm 118:10,12).

To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron; to execute upon them the judgment written: This honour have all His saints. Praise Ye the Lord! (Psalm 149:8,9).

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

Recomendation: Read & Pray Psalm 18 - Psalm 91

Remember: "No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord." Isaiah 54:17.

Jesus says, "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:18-20)

Source: Gathered Thoughts Jan Lyall, All Quotes referenced. Other sources: The Bible